Sunday, May 13, 2007

Rebel, Rebel....How could they know?

Originally, I had thought to blog about remembering to bring sun block for Neil...mostly because I nag really really well and it's about what you'd expect from me. But no, my dearies, not today. Today I blog because I am proud to announce that I have achieved Jimmy Olsen status after these many years. (Of course it may mean I get to carry the camera bag. I think he married me because there truly aren't many women who are strong enough to carry his camera bag...)

I'm pleased to report that I will be carrying the Canon EOS Rebel to document the photographer as he documents. Yessiree. Time to turn the tables on the tall guy and show him what it really feels like to be photographed before you've put on your airbrushing. He has one week to teach me everything I need to know about the little buttons and switches (Sherry: Computers A, Telephony B-, Photography C) Then I go to town. Which is probably doubly exciting because, while Neil is off capturing the "real America", I owe it to you guys to chronicle all the BBQ we eat, all the smiling faces we meet (that's before they figure out that we're from New York) and all the stuff that I want to write home about, but won't be interesting enough for Fats to chronicle. (Having to conserve his 60GB worth of portable storage, of course.)

I also think it's high time that someone start really cataloguing him doing his thing anyway, because it's fairly cool. Oh, perhaps not the time we stood for 45 minutes in a field off the side of a road waiting for all the cows to be facing in our direction (and they did, and we have the proof); but it may be important in that 'how can we show the world that he is suffering for his craft' way. There's that famous shot of Margaret Bourke-White hanging off a gargoyle on the side of the Chrysler Building. Maybe I could capture one of those. I certainly can't remember any of her photos as well as I remember that one of her. And I'm sure I could get a really good close up of Neil just before I give him that little push....

Fats, honey, don't forget to put on sunblock every day. I'm ready for my first lesson.

(Photograph of MBW by Oscar Graubner)

No comments: