Monday, May 21, 2007

(Will Rogers) and Hammerstein


Missouri is flat, and Kansas is quick and painless. If I were a politician, I'd say the road was gerrymandered into Kansas, and I seem to recall that that just may be true. I'll have to look it up when I get home. There were a few interesting distractions along the way, the above being one of them.

I know I mentioned the car, but did I mention there's a satellite radio? Yer sir, we're seriously Sirius on this trip, and Sherry very seriously told me that if she had to listen to the NPR channels the whole way, well, this is a family blog, so I won't get into it. Suffice to say I caught part of Weekend Edition Saturday, and we heard Car Talk and Wait, Wait... on Sunday. Then she discovered that there's a Broadway channel, and a Sinatra channel. Now she likes the idea of satellite radio....and those two seats in the last row are looking pretty good to me...

I mention this because irony follows us, and coincidence as well. So it was of little surprise that with merely a single mile remaining in Kansas we hear..."Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains..."

It was an excellent time to stop for gas.

3 comments:

Sharon Kugler said...

Flat, quick and painless?
Is this a road trip or a bad EKG?

See how your kids are doing at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kugler81/

Still no sign of Betsy but the other three are on best and friendliest behavior.

cheryl said...

You guys are making great time! How many hours of driving are you doing a day? And, Miss Sherry, how's your back holding up? C

Sherry said...

Hey, Cher (spoken in Alan's voice). Each day is around 300 miles. And I have my fabulous driving pillow with me...having learned my lesson the hard way. Driving all day takes its toll, but I did some cardio in the little gym at the Marriott to avoid atrophying in a seated position. Neil drives today. Mwah!