Monday, May 21, 2007

Oklahoma City Memorial

Most of the photographs I've seen of the Oklahoma City Memorial show the chairs, or the gates with the time 9:01 and 9:03 engraved upon them. It's a large, and very moving site. But across the street from the 9:03 gate is St. Andrew's Catholic Church, behind which is a large white statue with its back turned to the memorial site. I was curious, and we crossed the street for a better look.

I'm not a religous person, but I have respect for people's faith. I make fun of religous practices a lot, but being a former parochial school boy, I feel a bit entitled. And I liked this statue; when I saw it I realized that with his back to the scene was the strongest way it could be portrayed. And I hope my picture relays that power.

But I'm also a student of trivia, and if there's one thing I know about the Bible, it's what the shortest passage is: 'Jesus wept.' (John 11:35). So it annoys me a bit that this statue is titled "And Jesus Wept". I think just the two words would have more impact, but what do I know.

Maybe Jesus is really crying about the fact that he needs two security cameras watching over him 24/7?

2 comments:

Sharon Kugler said...

Gorgeous shot.
And a killer last line.

Unknown said...

This is a very moving photo and story. Thank you for your wide range of perspective on this cross-country trip.