Sunday, May 20, 2007

...and I'll be your Tootsie Wootsie

The Chain of Rocks bridge, the Route 66 way into St. Louis, is closed to all but pedestrians. And, forgive the fading light, but it was 7 pm and we were traveling across the Mighty Miss. on I55 into downtown St. Lou; The stadium was quiet...the Cardinals must be playing on the road.

Neil took this from the car as we rode by.

I feel compelled to supply proof of our passing. How this supplies it is anyone's guess. But it's quite large and, coming in from the northeast as we did, it's the first thing that becomes visible from 15 miles out.

They must really like their McDonalds out here.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Murphys!!

Great to follow your trek across America. St. Louis is where I grew up. As a wanna-be photographer in my teens, my girlfriend and I would sneak off to the East St. Louis train yards (on the ground, not too far from where this picture was taken) to take pictures of the St. Louis skyline... AT NIGHT. Imagining us roaming East St. Louis was our parent's worst nightmare. I bet if Neil had been from St. Louis, he would have been there taking pictures, too!

Growing up, we traveled back and forth across Missouri on Highway 40 at least once per month to visit my grandparents who lived in the Kansas City area. One grandmother lived on "old 40 highway" from 1945 - 2000.

Our annual family vacation as teenagers was to drive across Missouri, Kansas and half of Colorado to ski in the winter. That first sight of the Rockies spectacular, after the endless Kansas plains.

Happy travels thru the midwest!

Love, Felicia

Sherry said...

We need to discuss more of your delightfully misspent youth when I return....
Mwah!
She