Sunday, May 20, 2007

If The River Was Whisky...

...would this be the town's water tower? I dunno, but with a name like this, I'd live there in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, save for this, an abandoned restaurant, a run-down (but still open) motel's neon sign, and a tumbledown shack, there really isn't much of interest for an abandonment freak like myself to revel in along 66 in Missouri. Even seeing the stretches of overgrown pavement along the shoulder is getting boring. What this trip has done, and will do, is let me add some new states to the list of places I've been to. I've never been to Missouri or New Mexico, or Kansas even. And I've only been to Texas and Illinois if you want to count changing planes at O'Hare and DFW.

So by the time this trip is over I will have been to 22 of the nifty fifty, if the count that Sherry and I did over dinner is correct. (She's been to a few more than I; Idaho, for example. She was skiing.)

Of course, we were hard-pressed to come up with the names of all fifty states during that pre-entree session; even with a piece of paper we could only name about 46. Just this moment I remembered Montana.

Okay, 47.

Anyone want to give it a shot?

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Age'll do that to ya.
She

Boui said...

So, how come the previous post (featuring that lovely photo of me...what happened to the nice posed ones from after breakfast?) is the only one that won't let me post a comment? I feel discriminated against! Well, at least Goose looks good. Sorry to hear that Missouri has effectively destroyed all traces of historic Route 66 but at least you did learn one important fact here...everything is better with a side of pancakes!