Sunday, May 20, 2007

Oh Captain, My Captain...

Passing through the Land of Lincoln requires paying respects, of course. The Lincoln Tomb is very lovely...not too overdone, and surrounded by one of the loveliest cemeteries I've seen in awhile. And for me, it HAS been awhile, since, unlike my husband, I don't make it a habit of wandering boneyards in search of amusement. Anyway, Lincoln is entombed in a gallery with Mary Todd and young Tad and Willy in the wall across. Robert, who lived to adulthood (and a ripe old age) is buried elsewhere. There's a bronze bust of Lincoln in front with his nose rubbed shiny from visitors....for luck? How lucky was Lincoln? Really, people, think hard on this one.

The Tomb closes at 5...and we pulled into Springfield promptly at 4:35. Unfortunately, the loo gets locked at 4 pm. Go figure.

No comments: