Saturday, May 19, 2007

Giant Fiberglass Spaceman

If anything makes me nostalgic for the early days of the space program, it would have to be giant fiberglass representations of astronauts in the middle of Illinois. Especially when they're wearing short-sleeved spacesuits. (Hey, it gets hot in Illinois!)
That's my bride there, knee-high to a spaceman. I should mention here that she's now missed two lessons from the Monkey Island School of Photography; We were supposed to go over the camera on the plane, but I fell asleep. Tonight was our second chance, but right now she's across the room, sawing logs.
But more on this picture. The 'Gemini Giant' stands in the parking lot of the Launching Pad Drive-In in Wilmington, as charming a place as there is for corn dogs and burgers. Apparently built to honor the Gemini space program, he holds what looks to be a replica of 'Little Boy', the bomb that wiped out Nagasaki in World War Two. I have no idea what relation that has to the space program, nor can I figure out a connection between the space program, Wilmington, Illinois, greasy corn dogs and the fact that, if he's the Gemini Giant, why is there only one of him?

6 comments:

Sherry said...

I'd like to dedicate the spaceman to Cheryl for going above and beyond the call of duty...and checking the percolator. Mwah!

Sharon Kugler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon Kugler said...

So what's the point of deleting a comment if everybody can SEE you deleted a comment? Not v. tabula rasa, that.
Anyway, that was a funny story about the coffeepot call!
And short-sleeved spacesuits were, I imagine, a holdover from the Mercury mission (v. hot, that place!)

cheryl said...

The coffee pot story had us going all day! What a series of strange coincidences. And, I couldn't be happier to have such an amusing astronaut dedicated to me. Oddly enough, I was looking at my own photos of the arch earlier today, thinking you'd be passing by there. Have fun, and talk to you tomorrow. C

dimothy bulb said...

Reminds me of an outfit I wore to a bachelor party. Didn't have a chance to review the medical records for the "entertainment".

Sherry said...

DB, my dear, I was waiting for someone else to notice that.
She