Wednesday, April 25, 2007

T Minus 24 - Countdown


I’ve added the other interstate shields under the Route 66 one for an important reason. While we intend to follow Route 66 for this trip, more often than not we’ll be following it from the interstate. See, we’ve only got eight days, and most of what I’ve read about driving this road is that two weeks is "rushing it". Or so they say. At any rate, it’s not an interstate, which means it won’t be as smooth, and we can’t go as fast as we could on a modern road.

I mention this only because our first day’s drive has to be from Chicago to St. Louis. I’m not sure what time we land at O’Hare, but traveling two-thirds the length of Illinois, then all the way to the Mississippi looks like it could be eight hours on a good road. Making diversionary trips (the whole point of this exercise) will only add to the time.

Not that I mind, mind you. It’s just that due to the circumstances regarding our lodging we need to avoid straying too far from the beaten path.

Or the nearest Marriot. I’m married to a Jewish girl, you know. If you thought for a moment that we’d be tumbling into whichever motel up ahead has a buzzing ‘vacancy’ sign, then you don’t know who we are. Or at least who she is.

4 comments:

gberg said...

I'm confused. Are you gonna do Route 66 or aren'tcha? Part or some? When do you decide to be on the byway and when on the highway? It's too bad Sherry doesn't want to rough it but... I can see her point of view.

Sharon Kugler said...

I like that you added photos!
Yours looks great, Sherry. And..um, Neil? I hope you're reanimated by the mad scientist in time to start the drive...

Sherry said...

Alas, my little geeblet, there are areas wherein there is no longer a Historic Route 66 on which to drive....This is the explanation for the interstates.

She

Swami said...

Well if you get lost and end up in Vt we have a Marriot in Middlebury........and as for the picture, Neil, at least you ahve hair on your head. I seem to have gotten much taller over the years and it is all on my back and chest now.....enjoy the trip!