Friday, April 27, 2007

Mr. The-glass-is-half-empty, It Can't be Done


Oh for goodness' sake. Last night I drove 230 miles, on time, on target, through the greater New York Metropolitan area and I arrived at my destination in 3:45. If we have 8 hours of daylight after we land at O'Hare, I'm certain one can cover the distance between Chicago and St. Louis. 300 miles. Last week I drove 500 miles in 8 hours. It's May. I have ordered up excellent weather. It will be good, damn it!

What's more, you can try to kid these people, but you've been getting upgrades on Marriott points and frequent flyer miles for years--a perk not found at roadside dives. But far be it from me to spoil your fun. Drop me off at the Marriott and stay where you choose. I sure hope they take credit cards.

At some point, I'll post our itinerary so you can check the Marriott website to see which of their properties have spontaneously combusted.

Finally, that is not my photo. I don't look like that. It's not my nose, hair and certainly not my burgeoning jowels (when did THOSE happen?). I am tall and blonde. Go ahead. I dare ya. (For that matter, Mr. Willie-Nelson-wanna-be doesn't look like that either. )

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Neil, if you like what you see and you want to go back. We can take a month when we are *really* retired and return to do a leisurely look at the USA. But all the guidebooks and sites are full of "sightseeing" stuff (Las Vegas, LA, Branson, MO)that I don't consider cultural Americana. I want to learn about what was/is ON Route 66. I know what's in the cities. So I don't think we need 14 days to do this. Besides--we have 9 driving days, not 8. I personally do not care if we spend the last day racing to LAX from somewhere!
Guess who.

Sharon Kugler said...

dear god in heaven!!!!
you live together!!
go downstairs/upstairs/meet on the main floor, but talk in person!!!

btw, that isn't a real motivational poster, is it?
please tell me it's from despair.com or something...

Sherry said...

Sha, it's from despair.com (or something).

She